1. Construction. The facade of Saint Andrew of the Valley is designed to Carlo Rainaldi (1611-1691), although from January 1662 the presence, “for reconnaissance” and the assistance of Carlo Fontana, is reported. Construction work begun in 1661, ended in 1667, although the inscription, which, after the end of the construction, dates back to 1665:
ALEXANDER SEPT. P. M. S. ANDREAE APOSTLE AN. SALVTIS MDCLXV.
2. Description. The facade is made on two orders or, overlaid and separated floors by a projecting frame on shelves. Each order – Corinthian on bottom and composite on top – has eight columns, symmetrically matched. Wider is the lower floor that is divided into five spaces, while the second floor, the upper one, gathers in only three spaces, thus giving momentum to the terminal tympanum.
Wider are the spaces in the center of each of the two floors. In the lower one, resting on the access staircase, is the entrance portal. The door is then surmounted by an ached cornice embellished by two virtues: “Prayer” and “Hope” (Giovanna Antonio Fancelli, 1619-1671). Among them elevated the Peretti family coat of arms. In the second order, at the main door, the window opens, provided by a balcony balustrade with railing, which is accessed from the inner cornice of the church. At the top, within the tympanum overlapping the facade, two angels hold the coat of arms of Alexander VII.
3. Statutes. Eighteen statues and figures, small and large, inhabit the facade. On the lower floor, near the front door, to the left by the observer, St.Andrew Apostle (Ercole Ferrata, 1610-1685); On the other hand, st. Sebastian (Domenico Guidi, 1625-1701). They are the two patrons of the church. Farther on the left, st. Cajetan of Thiene (D. Guidi) and Farther right, s. Andrew Avellino (E. Ferrata), two theatine saints, the first founder of the Order, the second is the protector of road accidents. Above each niche there are two bas-relief angels holding the characteristic symbols of the four saints listed (partly due to E. Ferrata, partly to D. Guidi, but also attributed to the Fancelli). In the upper floor, the two niches dedicated to the saints Peter and Paul are empty. On the left corner, the Angel depicting “The Fame” (E. Ferrata), while the other side lacks the Angel that would solve the symmetry. The facade was subjected to a restoration work in 1990, including cleaning, consolidation and protection of the whole summary thanks to a generous contribution from CARIPLO (Lombardy Savings Bank).